Friday, January 23, 2009

Analogies the Modern Day Parables..

Once again my heart and mind are so full I can't seem to get anything done so I am gonna attempt to let some out via blogging, and then back to the grind here! I had an intense conversation with a friend today! She is atheist, and since we have only known each other a couple of months there has been only a couple of "faith based" conversations. She knows I am Christian, and she is very open about where she stands, and it has not been until today that the two have really come to a head.
Without trying to replay the two hours conversation, let me skip ahead, to after she asked if I really believe all that *@$! or if I think it could be made up stories. After sharing with her how God is more than just someone I read about in a book, He is as real to me as the chair she was sitting in, she asked why "we Christians" are always wanting people to become christians too, since gay people don't walk around trying to make the whole world gay. I tried to give her the best analogy I could come up with that she could understand from where she stood, basically stating that if she thought that being gay would save people from an eternity in hell, and that people who chose not to be gay would have a hopeless eternity, but those who chose to be gay would have a promise of great things, and an amazing eternity in heaven would she attempt to "convert" people to being gay? This led into the toughest question I hate to hear but don't doubt the answer to..." So are you saying that because I don't believe in Jesus or all this God @*!# I am going to hell?" I replied simply, yes. Bull@&#$ she said...and the conversation went on....
I share this because as I sat there I realized or was reminded of rather a simple truth, appart from Christ she will never know God! His Spirit has to do the work in her heart, and until He does all this "stuff" will be foolishness to her. Its a tough leap for me to see her even thinking about it, but God gave me a glimpse into His working when she told me after everything we talked about, she was still coming over tonight to chill with me and my friends!
He is able, and I will continue to trust, and pray, and if you think to could you lift a prayer as well! You dont need her name, God knows, if I witness any answers I'll be sure to record them here!

1 comment:

Jillian said...

i know that i dont know you very well... and it might seem like i comment a lot on your life... i dont mean to be a bother.. but i just felt the urge to encourage you further in witnessing to your friend. I have a lot of friends like that, and some family members and i know how hard it can be to say or recognize the fact they are going to hell without Jesus. But its the truth. I have to tell you that the reason i comment on your blog is because most of the time what you are going through or write about is what i need to hear. i have a new roommate this semester at school who is a party-person...to put it nicely... from what i can tell she doesnt believe in God or if she does its a building based notion that there is a higher power i recognize it therefore i am saved... but its been really hard for me to live with someone who is not helping me in my walk but dragging me down. my other roommate last semester was never here so there was never the temptation to want to get along ... i find myself wanting to compromise because it is easier... but then again i know the price of that cop out. idk... i guess what i am trying to say in an uber long way is i feel your pain/sympathies for your friend... and although my situation is different its somehow easier to know im not the only one that struggles with it....

ps im really sorry if i bother you with my comments...even if its the ones about bothering you... its just that i look up to you because i can see God so present in your life that it inspires me...(in other words i want to grow like you have grown and have fruit like you have one day so that it is obvious to a point that Jesus is Lord of my life and its the way to go!) and always find myself or well the voice in my head telling me dont comment or she doesnt know you why would she care... the only thing i can say to explain why i do comment is i know you love Jesus and therefore i know you arent the kind of person to blow someone off because you dont know them...

so i guess if i truly am bothering you i will stop... but to tell you the truth i hope im not... because i would like the opportunity to get to know you more, for you to teach me more not just through your lifes example but possibly your friendship....if not thats okay... i know i might have come off as a creep but i didnt intend to...

i will be praying for you and your friend
and hope you have an awesome day!