Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We have not been Given a Spirit of Fear...

I am in the midst of reading this book, "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris. I began reading it to see if was something our teens might benefit from, and have already been so challenged in my own life! They talk about, living not your easiest life, but your best life that God has for you, and what obstacles to that might be!
One of the things that stuck out to me this morning in my read is to do the things that are outside your comfort zone... How often I jump at the chance to do things I know I am good at, or things that there is little to no risk that I will make a fool of myself or come out looking dumb. The idea of stepping out of my little comfortable "fenced area", and trying things that I am not the best at, or taking huge risks in doing things that I could very well, fail at! In almost every instance I could think of, this "fence" I had built up was built out of fear! Fear of failure, of exposure (I am not as great as some might think...also a ton of pride built in to this one), fear of looking stupid...just plain fear! 2Timothy 1:7 is pretty clear"God has not given us a spirit of fear"..
So what is fear really? They say it well in this book: Fear is well concealed lies! Here I have been , again, believing lies I did not even realize were lies! The truth:
God works through my weaknesses to accomplish His will!
I am not called to be successful all the time I am called to be faithful and leave the result up to God!
All efforts, even failed ones produce growth!
So its time to start tearing down my picket fence, and take some risks! As I was reminded this morning, doing things outside my comfort zone, can pull me out of complacency and spark radical growth!!

No comments: